Rio Rancho Public Libraries is currently hiring a Library Branch Supervisor for the Esther Bone Memorial Library.
Position Title: Library Branch Supervisor MC
Department: Library & Information Services
Reports to: Dept. Deputy Director or assigned Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Bargaining Unit: None Pay Grade: 23A
Job Status: Perm/FT FT Equiv: 1.0
** Focus is on supervision and family programs ** Esther Bone Memorial Library
The Library Branch Supervisor oversees and coordinates the administrative, reference, collection, and planning and program functions for an assigned library department or branch, tasked with providing library services to the community. The Supervisor will direct, manage, supervise, and participate in the work of assigned library staff and volunteers and will perform a variety of functions to support the development and marketing of library collections, professional library reference assistance, and relevant programing and services for patrons. This position is accountable for the opening and closing of the library including maintaining and securing the building and grounds.
Education, Training and Experience minimum required to proficiently perform the job
Education/higher education: Master's Degree
For required college degrees, applicable field(s) of study: Library Science.
Minimum number of years of directly related experience: Three (3) years related experience in library services.
Certifications, Licenses and Registrations
Driver s License requirement: Infrequent Driver -- Regular Driver's License Required
Note -- For any driver, driving record must always meet City driving and insurability standards.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required to proficiently perform the job
Knowledge: Library management principles and procedures of professional library administration, methods, practices, and techniques of library classification, cataloging, references, library collections, systems and online applications; Policies, rules and regulations governing conduct and safety of library programs and facilities; Working knowledge of reference tools and services; Standard bibliographic sources, the on-line cataloging databases, and verification tools; techniques and protocols for researching a wide variety of bibliographic databases; personal computers; and specialized software applications; City municipal codes; policies and procedures.
Skills: Provide excellent customer service to and interact with persons of different social, economic and ethnic backgrounds. Have a good working knowledge on the use of technology, equipment and software. Perform a wide variety of technical library support functions; develop, coordinate, and conduct library programs and activities; utilize and maintain automated library systems and computer equipment; library database research & maintenance; identify library collection issues and develop suggestions for enhancements; recognize and resolve conflicts in library data entry; organize workload to keep pace with flow of library materials and services; select, supervise, train, and evaluate work of assigned staff.
Abilities: Assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects, and demands; communicates effectively verbally and in written forms; perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Interaction with Groups/Agencies/Entities: Internal: Works with librarians and library clerical staff in planning and implementing programs, special events, projects, and promotions. Maintains harmonious, courteous, and understanding relationships, while fostering a collaborative teamwork environment. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers. External: Works closely with library system staff, with public schools teachers and administration, outside vendors, and state and national library association members to coordinate efforts and provide programs. Works with community organizations and the general public in promoting library services and collections. Answers reference queries and assists library customers in locating and using library materials both on the shelves and on-line. Presents a courteous and friendly image for the City with the general public.
Authorities and Accountabilities
Level of independent decision making: High--incumbent is expected to analyze complex situations and take appropriate action
Budgetary/Financial/Asset accountability: Low -- Position is accountable to a Department Director or Division Manager and cannot make major decisions or obligate the City
Span of control: Responsibility for the assigned workgroup
For positions that supervise:
- Approximate number of employees directly supervised: 6 to 10
The following functions are typical for this position. The omission of specific functions does not exclude them if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment for this position. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Responsible for assigned operations and public services of one (1) or more library facilities or units including the planning and directing of assigned staff and support services.
- Oversees, trains, and monitors the performance of assigned personnel; prepares schedules and assigns work activities to staff and volunteers;
- Prepares and processes a variety of departmental reports including operational and statistical reports.
- Studies, recommends, and implements policies and procedures to improve department and employee productivity.
- Oversees and assists with planning, organizing, publicizing and implementing library educational or other special projects and programs within assigned areas (e.g., children s story time); monitors program contractors to ensure contract compliance; may also develop materials and/or serve as instructor for designated projects and programs (e.g., internet safety training); participates in developing, designing and setting up exhibits and displays. Assists in the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs and services in such areas as children s services, adult services, computer access services; recommends program and procedure changes.
- Oversees and directs the daily operations for circulation, acquisition or cataloging of library materials, processing and maintenance of library materials, and the assistance provided at public information desks within the library.
- Assists the general public in accessing and using library resources both in-house and on-line.
- Evaluates, selects, orders, and weeds materials to maintain effective and timely library collections in line with the library s collection development plan and budget guidelines.
- Contributes to the marketing of the library collections by giving library tours and by developing and maintaining displays, bibliographies, flyers, brochures, and library user guides, both printed and electronic.
- Records service statistics, answers correspondence and telephone calls, develops procedures as needed, and contributes to the development and revision of library planning documents, including budget items.
- Keeps abreast with professional developments and current events; reads journals, reviews books, bibliographies and other media. Participates in applicable educational opportunities.
- May empty book-drops when closed and on holidays, when needed.
- Serves on library committee s as assigned.
- May be scheduled/required to work nights and weekends.
- Lead on implementation and coordination of system-wide training of all staff and volunteers on topics including, but not limited to: circulation, selection, specialty services, programs, customer service, etc.
- Train assigned employees; verify their work for accuracy in procedures, techniques and compliance with standards and specifications.
- Provide full range of public services including: circulation, registration, information and reader's advisory, assistance in using electronic resources and all library equipment, promotion of library services, and programming.
- Monitor the maintenance and security; ensure the safety and cleanliness of an assigned area and/or buildings and grounds.
For more information and to apply, visit http://ciriorancho.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=1607771&&#job