Position Title: Access Services, Library Specialist
Department: NMSU Library Access Services
Salary: $15.00 (hourly rate)
Best Consideration Date: 07/31/2022- Click Here For More Information -
New Mexico State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, NMSU does not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, retaliation, serious medical condition, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, spousal affiliation or protected veteran status in its program or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Executive Director, Title IX and Section 504 Coordinator, Office of Institutional Equity, P.O. Box 30001, E. 1130 University Avenue, Las Cruces, NM 88003; 575.646.3635; 575.646.7802 (TTY) email@example.com.
NMSU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate form or to request an accommodation, please contact the Office of Institutional Equity, O’Loughlin House, 1130 E. University Avenue, Las Cruces, NM 88003; 575.646.3635; 575.646.7802 (TTY) firstname.lastname@example.org. One week advance notice is appreciated.
NMSU is an EEO/AA Employer. This offer of employment is contingent upon verification of identity and employment eligibility on the Form I-9, as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 and the results of a criminal history check.
The NMSU system requires all employees to upload proof of COVID-19 vaccination or request an exemption through the Office of Institutional Equity (medical or religious) within three (3) business days of start date. Vaccination card and exemption must be uploaded via the VaxTrax System. NMSU’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is subject to change in order to comply with state and federal mandates and in accordance with the recommendations of public health experts.
Under minimal supervision, provides assistance as required by library services to meet the informational, educational, and research-related needs of patrons. May performs paraprofessional level technical, public, and access services.
- Provides guidance and assistance to patrons regarding general and specific information about the library and library resources.
- With minimal supervision, performs and/or oversees routine to moderately complex database tasks, utilizing automated database systems, to include materials check-in, circulation, searching, ordering of materials, and/or copy cataloging.
- Provides assistance to higher level staff and librarians with reference services, using proficiency in specialized indexes, reference sources, and on-line databases; may perform reference services with backup assistance.
- Performs specialized library tasks, including copy cataloging without review or original cataloging with review, processing of non-traditional materials (such as manuscripts and archival materials) without review, and handling of routine and complex invoices and orders, using specialized databases.
- Implements and communicates policies pertaining to services, operations, and activities; resolves complex departmental problems, and develops and implements operational procedures. Initiates and assists with collection maintenance activities and projects including electronic collections.
- Trains lower graded staff and/or student employees.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of library principles, practices, and terminology.
- Skill in the use of computers, preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment.
- Skill in the use of relevant automated library systems.
- Skill in the use of library resources.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to provide training to staff and/or student employees.
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized library tasks.
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- High School diploma or GED certificate.
- Five (5) years of experience related to the standard duties as outlined.
- Completion of a post-secondary degree or certificate may substitute for years of experience.
- Prior library public service experience.
- Skill in the use of MS Office programs and using a Windows-based operating environment.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Light physical effort. Effort applies to no more than two (2) hours per day.
- Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 10 pounds or some standing or walking.
The electronic application is the official document that will be used to qualify applicants. Paper/email documents will not be accepted. Required documents must be attached to this application. Please apply through the NMSU website.