Position Title: Library Assistant AF
Department: Library & Information Services
Reports to: Workgroup Supervisor
FLSA Status: non-Exempt
Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
Job Status: Permanent
Full Time equivalent: 1.0
Note: The Rio Rancho Public Library is hiring 2 Librarian Assistants! The HUB Library Assistant will at the brand-new HUB @ Enchanted Hills Branch serving the northern portions of the Rio Rancho community. The HUB is a joint facility with the Parks and Rec Department and will include pickle ball courts as well as the public library. The Youth Services Library Assistant will work at the beautiful Loma Colorado Main Library to support children’s and teen programming and events.
-Click here for more information-
The Library Assistant performs copy cataloging to add new items and gifts to the library s database; performs on-going quality control of the database; maintains the library s magazine collection; maintains proficiency with the integrated library system, national bibliographic services and database standard; maintains the library s interlibrary loan service, assists with programs, assists patrons with the public computers, provides directional support for library patrons and assists librarians in the assigned department.
- Education / higher education: Associate s Degree Minimum number of years of directly related experience: Two years of experience in customer service, event planning or assistance, book store or educational experience.
- Education and/or experience preferences: Public library experience preferred
- Substitutions: Any combination of education and experience to equal four years may satisfy the minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge: Library bibliographic database, formats, standards and MARC tagging, and interlibrary loan. The Dewey Decimal Classification system, and an ability to incorporate local practices logically and consistently. Integrated library systems and how all modules interrelate. Library processing procedures, materials and equipment and quality control protocols.
- Skills: Must be able to type rapidly and accurately enough to successfully produce documents/spreadsheets, communicate via e-mail, or perform data entry as necessary to accomplish the essential functions of the position. Use of technology, equipment and software typically used in the office environment. Strong computer keyboarding and data entry skills. Excellent written and verbal communication and public relation skills.
- Abilities: Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables where standardization must prevail. Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form. Write procedures and to present instruction in a clear and organized manner. Schedule and prioritize work in relation to the goals of the library as a whole. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City staff, vendors and the general public.
- Interaction with Groups/Agencies/Entities: Internal: Works closely with staff in the assigned department to coordinate and accomplish its goals, and with library staff in other divisions to provide seamless interface from technical services to public services. External: Establishes and maintains relationships and quality standards with library staff and vendors.
Authorities and Accountabilities
Level of independent decision making: Minimal-incumbent primarily carries-out instructions and follows established procedures
Budgetary/Financial/Asset accountability: Low -- Position is accountable to a Department Director or Division Manager and cannot make major decisions or obligate the City
Span of control: Responsibility for own work (no supervision or leadership expectations)
For positions that supervise:
- Approximate number of employees directly supervised: None
- Approximate number of employees indirectly supervised through subordinate managers/supervisors (excludes direct reports): None
The following functions are typical for this position. The omission of specific functions does not exclude them if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment for this position. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Performs Copy Cataloging for newly purchased and gift items. Performs on-going quality control of the database including withdrawals and other routine maintenance; maintains database records for magazines and newspapers and maintains the magazine collection; works closely with other staff to ensure smooth and effective workflow and assists in special projects to improve and enhance the library s database; applies current cataloging standards to all cataloging work; proficient in using all aspects of bibliographic databases and the integrated library system; serves as a backup to provide the physical processing of all materials. Along with co-workers ensures timely workflow through the department and answers routine questions and problems from other department and provides other assistance to librarians in the assigned department.
- Provides assistance to library patrons by answering directional and other quick answer questions; assist patrons in using the library s public computers and services, assists with program set-up, publicity, supplies, and other related tasks; maintains the library s interlibrary loan service; makes deliveries to City Hall and branch libraries as required and provides other assistance to librarians in assigned departments.
- Responsible for public facility rental and scheduling: Provides members of the public with rental applications, policies and procedures and receives same; Books and schedules facilities rentals and maintains rental calendar; coordinates facilities rentals with library program use of the facilities to ensure there are no conflicts; Collects rental fees and maintains file of rental contracts
- Assist in management of departmental accounting and other support functions. Involves, but it not limited to: Receives required payments from customers for rentals, fees or fines, verifies correct amount, issues change, and provides receipt as required; Prepares balancing report and reconciles cash drawer on a daily basis; handles cash in accordance with City Finance procedures.
- Acts as a liaison with the Processing Clerk to move problem items on a timely basis from in repair status to look on shelf status.
- Function as back-up with library processing quality controls.
- May be scheduled/required to work nights and weekends.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
Daily activity level: Blend of sedentary and physical work
Physical characteristics: Job requires oral and aural communication; Job requires reading and comprehension of written materials; Job requires normal vision; Grasping with hand, gripping; Key stroking or repetitive motion of hands/fingers/arms; Climbing Ladders; Bending/kneeling/crawling; Lifting/carrying/push/pull up to 49 lbs.; Working while standing for prolonged periods of time
Exposures: Exposure to biological agents, human/animal body fluids, blood borne pathogens, excrement or tuberculosis
All applications must be submitted on the City of Rio Rancho website.