Position: Deputy Library Director MC
Salary: $67,412.80 - $84,281.60 Annually
Location: Loma Colorado Library (755 Loma Colorado Drive NE)
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Library & Information Services
Opening Date: 01/09/2024
--CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION--
The Deputy Library Director assists the Library Director in the management of various activities and operations within the library, which may include, library system management, library branch management, library program coordination, support services, circulation management, fiscal services, technical services, digital services, and the Integrated Library System; coordinate and plan program functions for the library; coordinate and assign activities with other departments, divisions, or outside agencies; provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Library Director.
Education / higher education: Master's Degree
For required college degrees, applicable field(s) of study: Library science (MLS).
Minimum number of years of directly related experience: Five years related experience in library services, including at least three years of experience supervising staff.
Education and/or experience preferences: None
Driver’s License requirement: Infrequent Driver -- Regular Driver's License Required Endorsements: None
Note -- For any driver, driving record must always meet City driving and insurability standards.
Required certifications, licenses or registrations: MLS from an ALA-accredited program.
Time given after hire/promotion to obtain certification or licenses: None
Preferred certifications, licenses or registrations: None
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Knowledge: Library management principles, collections and systems, and online reference applications. Knowledge of managerial policies, practices and control of library management, including building/facility maintenance and management.
Skills: Must be able to type rapidly and accurately enough to successfully produce documents/spreadsheets, communicate via e-mail, or perform data entry as necessary to accomplish the essential functions of the position. Use of technology, equipment and software typically used in the office environment. Excellent written and verbal communication and public relations skills required.
Abilities: Operate a personal computer to access Internet and on-line database resources and use word processing and spreadsheet applications. Read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical reports and procedures, or governmental regulations. Knowledge of principles and practices of library management and administration; principles and practices of municipal budget preparation and administration; Write technical reports, library planning documents, business correspondence, and procedures manuals. Effectively present information and respond to questions from customers and the general public in public meetings and forums. Apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical work situations. Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
Interaction with Groups/Agencies/Entities:
Internal: Works with librarians and library clerical staff in planning and implementing programs, special events, projects, and promotions. Maintains harmonious, courteous, and understanding relationships, while fostering a collaborative teamwork environment.
External: Works closely with library system staff, with public schools teachers and administration, outside vendors, and state and national library association members to coordinate efforts and provide programs. Works with community organizations and the general public in promoting library services and collections. Answers reference queries and assists library customers in locating and using library materials both on the shelves and on-line. Presents a courteous and friendly image for the City with the general public.
The following functions are typical for this position. The omission of specific functions does not exclude them if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment for this position. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Assists in the management and administration of various activities and operations within the Library Department which may include, library system management, library program coordination, support services, circulation management, fiscal services, technical services, digital services, and the Integrated Library System.
- Assist in establishing appropriate service and staffing levels; monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; recommend, with the section, appropriate service and staffing levels.
- Studies, recommends, and implements policies and procedures to improve Library and employee productivity.
- Assist in the management of Capital Improvement building projects for the library department.
- Investigate grant opportunities; prepare and submit grant applications for the library; coordinate the management and reporting for successful grant applications and act as the principal investigator for grants.
- Supervises assigned staff, carries out staff performance evaluations, and recommends hiring or disciplinary actions as needed.
- Serve as liaison for the Library department with other City departments, divisions, and outside agencies; negotiate and resolve sensitive and controversial issues.
- Participates in the creation and regular revisions of library planning documents, including Library Strategic Plan, Master Plan, Collection Development Plan, and Library Technology plan. Is responsible for ensuring implementation of these plans at assigned section level.
- Review organizational budgetary, personnel and operational demands with departmental management staff; propose solutions and recommended courses of action.
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate library personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
- Participates in the creation of the Department budget, setting annual Library goals and objectives, and identifying expenditures needed to carry them out.
- Provide responsible staff assistance to the Library Director.
- May be scheduled to work nights and weekends.
All applications must be submitted directly through the City of Rio Rancho Careers page.