Nominations & Elections Committee
The Nominations & Elections Committee is appointed annually to nominate candidates for Association offices to be filled in the upcoming year. This Committee consists of three (3) members: two (2) appointed by the President, with the immediate Past-President serving as the third member.
Contact: Sharon Jenkins
Election time for our Association with be here before you know it. So to get the ball rolling, the Nominations and Elections Committee (N&EC), acting in accordance with Article XII in the NMLA Bylaws, is asking you to submit suggestons of likely candidates for office. Please review Section 2 of the Procedures Manual for specific duties of each board officer. http://nmla.org/bylaws-procedural-manual/. (The timeline for the elections process is currently being revised, but the actual process remains fundamentally the same) I have included a partial list of general duties with this announcement. You may suggest either yourself or someone else. This year we are soliciting suggestions for the following board positions:
- The Vice-President shall serve for one year and shall become President the following year. (Bylaws, Article V, Section 2)
- The Vice-President shall act for the President in the President’s absence. (Article V, Section 2)
- The Vice-President shall be the Program Chair for the annual conference that coincides with his/her vice-presidency. (Article V, Section 2)
- In the event of a vacancy in the office of President, the Vice-President/President-Elect shall serve as President for the remainder of the unexpired term, and may continue in office for the full succeeding term for which he/she was elected. (Article XII, Section 4)
- The Vice-President shall maintain the assigned copy of the Procedural Handbook in good order, consulting the chair of the Bylaws & Procedures Committee about anything in it that may seem to be insufficient, inconsistent or incorrect. The Handbook should be correct and up-to-date when passed on to the succeeding Vice-President.
- The Treasurer shall serve for two years with the term beginning January 1 following the election of officers. (Bylaws, Article V, Section 4)
- The fiscal year shall be from July 1 to June 30. (Article V, Section 4)
- The Treasurer shall be bonded annually. (Executive Board, 10-7-77, p. 2)
- The Treasurer shall collect all dues and keep all accounts and fiscal documents. (Article V, Section 4)
- The Treasurer shall present the Association’s annual budget to the Executive Board (Article V, Section 4) Budget requests from the Association units are requested in advance of the summer Executive Board meeting, and these requests may be reviewed and revised before they are submitted to the Board. (Executive Board, 10-2-76, p. 2)
- Members at Large shall serve for two years. (Article X, Section 3)
- Members at Large shall attend and vote at meetings of the Executive Board. (Article X, Section 3)
- Members at Large shall perform such duties as may be required in preparation for the miniconference(s) that coincides with his/her year term.
- The Members at Large shall be the liaison contacts for special interest groups. (Article XV, Section 3)
- The Members at Large shall be prepared to undertake any special task that the President may assign, and be especially active in membership promotion.
- The Members at Large shall be the Program Chairs for the mini-conference(s).
- The Members at Large may plan educational activities.
You will have until March 31st to submit potential candidate names to the committee. We will then choose from among the suggestions, validate the nominees and construct the ballot for the NMLA board to review at its June board meeting. The election will be held in August with the results announced in the subsequent NMLA Newsletter and at the business meeting during our Annual Conference. Please contact any N&EC member with your suggestions for candidates.