The Committee met in Albuquerque on May 29, 2009. Sixteen people attended, including representatives of the Library Bond PAC, NAL-SIG, ASL-SIG, NMCAL and our lobbyist Larry Horan. We identified the following work program items for 2009-2010:
- Work for the placement of a Library General Obligation Bond Issue on the November 2010 New Mexico ballot.
- Rebuild a network of local activists who can support and seek funding for the Political Action Committee advocating the Bond Issue.
- Support the retention of the State Library budget line item which provides increased levels of state grants-in-aid funding. Continue to work for the increase in this program.
- Work in cooperation with the Action for School Libraries SIG to restore funding to the School Libraries Materials Act.
- Support efforts by the New Mexico Consortium of Academic Libraries for rational funding of academic library funding, including a realistic formula to address inflationary increases in resource budgets.
- Work in cooperation with the Native American Libraries SIG to address tribal library funding issues in response to the Indian Affairs Department’s House Memorial 59 report.
- Continue to fund an NMLA lobbyist.
- Organize a Library Legislative Day on Thursday, January 29, 2010.
- Make presentations to the Legislative Finance Committee and the Legislative Education Study Committee about library needs statewide.
- Participate in A.L.A. Library Legislative Day on June 28, 2010.