230: Vice President/President-Elect and Conference Program Chair
1. The Vice-President shall serve for one year and shall become President the following year. (Bylaws, Article V, Section 2)
2. The Vice-President shall act for the President in the President’s absence. (Article V, Section 2)
3. The Vice-President shall be the Program Chair for the annual conference that coincides with his/her vice-presidency. (Article V, Section 2)
4. In the event of a vacancy in the office of President, the Vice-President/President-Elect shall serve as President for the remainder of the unexpired term, and may continue in office for the full succeeding term for which he/she was elected. (Article XII, Section 4)
5. The Vice-President shall maintain the assigned copy of the Procedural Handbook in good order, consulting the chair of the Bylaws & Procedures Committee about anything in it that may seem to be insufficient, inconsistent or incorrect. The Handbook should be correct and up-to-date when passed on to the succeeding Vice-President.
Calendar of Specific Duties
Begins conference program planning with the Program Committee. Meets with Local Arrangements Chair who is organizing local committees. There must be a clear written agreement with the convention center or conference hotel/motel headquarters, signed by the N.M.L.A. President.
Bring tentative themes for consideration by the Executive Board, which approves the conference theme. Invites Local Arrangements Chair to the first Executive Board Meeting. Confers with Treasurer to outline total conference budget.
Continues conference planning with the Program Committee, outlining a tentative program, selecting speakers and determining what honoraria and expenses these may require. Prepares a brief announcement of conference for the N.M.L.A. Newsletter.
Prepares tentative conference program and budget for consideration at the second Executive Board meeting. Invites Local Arrangements Chair(s) and subcommittee chairpersons to attend the Board meeting. Continues conference planning. Newsletter publicity should increase.
Sees that the conference program speakers have been invited and that there are plans for hosting them. Prepares further conference publicity for the Newsletter. May request Editor to publish blank with checklist for members to indicate interest in committee appointments, or may send out a form with a pre-conference mailing.
Presents as complete a conference program as possible at the third Executive Board meeting, raising questions to be answered at that meeting about anything that is not clear.
Prepares detailed conference program with the asistance of the Local Arrangements Committee and the Program Committee to include in packets of pre-conference registration materials to be mailed to members two months in advance of conference dates. Arranges with Treasurer for the details of payments of honoraria and expenses to conference speakers. Prepares background materials on speakers for use in introductions. Works with Newsletter Editor on stories in the preconference issue.
In preparation for the Presidential year, contacts members for appointments to committee chairs and memberships. Utilizes the current directory and committee guidelines in the Procedural Handbook for this. Tells new committee members the terms of their appointment (normally three years) and the duties involved. Informs committee chair-designates that they must attend the fourth Executive Board meeting at the annual conference. The appointments are effective at the time in the close of the business meeting during the annual conference when the Vice-President assumes the Presidency and announces appointments.
Arranges for Procedural Handbook and Directory page revisions as necessary. This is usually done by providing the information to the Chair of the Bylaws & Procedures Committee, starting 6 weeks before the annual conference.
Prepares the agenda for the post-conference Executive Board meeting.
Conference is here and now! Presides at second general session, assumes Presidency at the end of the business meeting and announces committee appointments then.