410: Nominations and Elections Committee
Bylaws Relating to the Annual Nomination and Election of Officers Committee Membership
A special committee on Nominations and Elections shall be appointed annually to nominate candidates for Association offices to be filled in the upcoming year. This Committee shall consist of three members, two to be appointed by the President, with the immediate Past- President serving as the third member. (Bylaws, Article XII, Section 1)
Nomination of Candidates
The report of the Committee shall be published in the issue of the Association’s official periodical and/or mailed to each member of the Association, prior to November 1st. Nominations may also be made by the membership, provided the candidate has agreed and one or more petitions for that candidate signed by a total of at least 20 current members of the Association have been submitted. Such petitions must be received by the Chair of the Nominations and Elections Committee postmarked no later than January 1st. Petition forms and instructions shall be provided to members prior to November 1st through the Association’s official periodical and/or included with the Nominations and Elections Committee report mailed to the members of the Association. The Nominations and Elections Committee shall validate such petitions, and report the names of all qualified candidates for each office to the membership by February 1st. (Bylaws, Article XII, Section 1)
Eligibility of Committee Members
Members of the Nominations and Elections Committee are not eligible to be nominated for Association-level offices. (Article XII, Section 1)
Conduct of the Election
The officers shall be elected by a plurality vote of ballots cast by members through a mail election conducted by the Nominations and Elections Committee. Ballots shall be mailed on February 1st to current members of record as of January 1st. The Nominations and Elections Committee shall establish procedures for the fair and orderly conduct of the election. Members shall cast and return ballots to an address designated by the Nominations and Elections Committee by March 1st. The Nominations and Elections Committee shall validate and count the ballots, and tabulate the results. (Article XII, Section 2)
Committee Procedural Guidelines for Annual Elections
By mid-October, the Nominations and Elections Committee shall prepare a slate of candidates for positions for offices with expiring terms. The Nominations and Elections Committee is free to nominate as many candidates as it desires to each vacant office.
Verification of Petition Candidacies
The report of the Nominations and Elections Committee shall be submitted to the
Executive Board (at their winter meeting, if possible) for information. The Committee chair shall
present all documents relating to petitions for nominations to the Board, and report the names of
candidates nominated by the petition process.
The Nominations and Elections Committee shall provide each member with a printed ballot, biographical information about each candidate, instructions for marking and returning the ballot, and a specially recognizable self-addressed return envelope. The shall be a place on the return envelope for the member’s signature. Once a ballot envelope has been validated, the ballot shall be separated from the signed envelope. All valid ballots shall be assembled before any of the contests are tabulated.
The Nominations and Elections Committee shall inform each candidate of the outcome of the election prior to the annual conference. Results of the election shall be reported at the Executive Board meeting at the beginning of the conference, at the business meeting during conference, and in the post-conference issue of the Newsletter.
Offices to Be Filled
Each year, candidates for the office of Vice-President is required. In even-numbered years, a candidate for the offices of Secretary is required. In odd-numbered years, a candidate for the office of Treasurer is required. Because the Vice-President automatically becomes the President, no candidates are named for these offices unless a vacancy exists, or a vacancy has been filled by appointment, in which case the incumbent does not hold the position by election, and cannot move up in the succession without election.
Distribution of Selections
The Nominations and Elections Committee is free to select candidates from the entire membership of the Association. During a period from 1962-63 through 1978-79, a rigid schedule was followed in nominating candidates from among academic, school, special and public librarians successively. This cycle is no longer being followed. However, prudence suggests that the Committee should be aware of the desirability of selecting candidates from all types of libraries and from all parts of New Mexico.
Number of Candidates for Office
The Nominations and Elections Committee is free to nominate as many candidates as it desires to each vacant office.
Announcement of Results
It has been customary to read the Nominations and Elections Committee report at the business meeting at conference. It is a courtesy by those who read the report of the Nominations and Elections Committee at conference to state the names who automatically will succeed, before announcing the election results; i.e., “to serve with ….., President, and ….., Vice-President, ….”
Duties and Procedures for Filling Vacancies in Office
1. In the event of vacancy in the office of President, the Vice-President/President-Elect shall serve as President for the remainder of the unexpired term, and may continue in office for the full succeeding term for which he/she was elected. (Bylaws, Articles XII, Section 4)
2. In the event of vacancy in the office of the Vice-President, the President, with the approval of the Executive Board, shall fill the vacancy by appointment, from not more than two names submitted by the Nominations and Elections Committee, and the person so appointed shall serve until the next regular election or until a special election, if such a special election is deemed advisable by the Executive Board. If there is to be a special election, the Nominations and Elections Committee will present not more than two names for mail ballot, with prior notice for names to be added to the ballot by petition. (Bylaws, Article XII, Section 5)
3. Bylaws, Article XIII, Section 5 provides for special election of the Vice-President IF THERE IS TIME, but does not make the election mandatory because, in some circumstances there would not be time to hold an election before the term was over. Once it was decided to conduct a special election, the Nominations and Elections Committee would need to recommend an election calendar and request a special appropriation from the Board.
Duties and Procedures for the Nomination and Election of the American Library Association Councilor
1. The Association is represented by an A.L.A. Councilor elected every three years from among nominees presented by the Nominations and Elections Committee. Election procedures are set by A.L.A. and use a written ballot. (Bylaws, Article VIII, Section 2)
2. The Councilor must be a member of the New Mexico Library Association and the American Library Association. (Bylaws, Article VIII Section 3)
3. Every third year a candidate or candidates must be nominated for A.L.A. Councilor. A.L.A. sets the rules and the timing for the election. A.L.A. will provide a list of A.L.A. members in New Mexico to the Nominations and Elections Committee, on request.
4. Nominees are customarily listed, with biographical information about them, in the winter issue of the Newsletter. Election is by mail, with ballots sent to all eligible votes in N.M.L.A. Selfaddressed stamped postcards could be used to expedite balloting by mail and to increase member participation in the election.
5. The results of the mail ballot are tabulated by the Nominations and Elections Committee,
and announced at the business meeting during the annual conference, for the information of the
Nomination and Election Event Calendar
At the first Board meeting, a budget is requested to cover the costs of conducting the mail ballot nomination and election process.
During the summer, the Nominations and Elections Committee selects a slate of one or more candidates for each office to be filled. This slate is publicized to the membership through a mailing and/or through the fall issue of the Newsletter. The mailing/article announces names of Nominations and Elections Committee candidates, and gives petition information and a form for nominating additional candidates. Nominations require the signatures of 20 current members and consent from the nominee.
Information on official nominees and petition candidacy information must be distributed to members by this date.
Postmark deadline for submitting petitions for added candidates. Deadline for joining the Association for eligibility to participate in the mail election ballot.
The Nominations and Election Committee reviews all petitions for additional candidacies, validates petition signatures and membership of candidates and signers. At the winter Board meeting, the Committee reports on validation of petition candidacies, with documentation for Board inspection, if this has been completed.
The Nominations and Elections Committee mails the official ballot to all members eligible to vote. The ballot package contains:
1. Biographical information about each candidate.
2. An official ballot.
3. A return envelop addressed to the Committee chair.
4. Instructions about casting ballots, noting the deadline for receiving ballots.
If calendar permits, include article in the pre-Conference issue of the Newsletter, giving a biography and a statement for each nominee for office.
Postmark deadline for receiving election ballots.
The Nominations and Elections Committee validates and counts ballots, and informs candidates, President, and Bylaws & Procedures chair of the outcome of the election.
At the pre-Conference Board meeting, the Committee reports on the conduct of the election and the results. During conference, the election results are announced at the business meeting. They are also published in the post-Conference Newsletter along with thanks to the candidates for running for office.
New Mexico Library Association Petition for Candidacy for NMLA Office
I am a current member of the New Mexico Library Association.
I wish to be considered for placement on the NMLA slate of candidates for the following office (check
Vice-President/President Elect _____
ALA Councilor _____
_____________________________________________ (printed name)
Please mail this page and the signature page(s) to the Chair of the NMLA Nominations and Elections
Committee (address is found on NMLA website) postmarked by January 1. The Nominations and
Elections Committee will validate that all signers of the petition are current members of the New Mexico
Library Association. Only petitioners with 20 signatures from current members will be added to the slate
The following signatures are from current NMLA members who support placing my name on the slate of
candidates for election to NMLA office in the next election.
Print Name Sign Name
1. ______________________________ ______________________________
2. ______________________________ ______________________________
3. ______________________________ ______________________________
4. ______________________________ ______________________________
5. ______________________________ ______________________________
6. ______________________________ ______________________________
7. ______________________________ ______________________________
8. ______________________________ ______________________________
9. ______________________________ ______________________________
10. ______________________________ ______________________________
11. ______________________________ ______________________________
12. ______________________________ ______________________________
13. ______________________________ ______________________________
14. ______________________________ ______________________________
15. ______________________________ ______________________________
16. ______________________________ ______________________________
17. ______________________________ ______________________________
18. ______________________________ ______________________________
19. ______________________________ ______________________________
20. ______________________________ ______________________________
Name of Candidate: ___________________________________________________
NMLA Office: ________________________________________________________