310: Awards Committee
1. The Awards Committee shall receive recommendations for awards and honorary memberships and recommend to the Executive Board recipients of awards and memberships. (Bylaws, Article XVII, Section 2)
2. The Committee should review the types of awards presently given and their criteria (PH 312-316) each year, and may make recommendations for changes to the Board.
3. The Committee solicits and receives recommendations for award recipients, and selects nominees to be recommended to the Executive Board. Upon approval of the Board, the Committee is responsible for obtaining suitable mementos for the awardees and shall organize the presentation ceremony during the annual conference banquet. Award selection must be finalized at least 30 days prior to presentation, so that mementos can be prepared in time for the ceremony.
4. The Committee will submit annual updates of all awards and honorary memberships which have been granted by the Association, including names of recipients, dates awarded, and descriptions of the awards, to the webmaster/webmistress for inclusion on the NMLA web site. It is especially important that a list of honorary members be maintained so that they will receive the Newsletter and other Association publications, but will not be billed for dues.
5. The Committee chair should become familiar with the Bylaws and with the Procedural Handbook pages on standing committees. (PH 300)
6. The chair should maintain this copy of the Procedural Handbook in good order, consulting the chair of the Bylaws & Procedures Committee about anything in it that may seem to be insufficient, inconsistent or incorrect. The Handbook should be correct and up-to-date when it is passed on to the succeeding chair.
Calendar of Specific Duties
The committee chair submits a budget request prior to the first meeting of the Executive Board.
Request suggestions from members concerning any awards or honorary memberships to be offered. Publicity concerning these should be sent to the Editor for publication in the Newsletter. Report on committee activities at the third Board meeting, submitting award and honorary membership nominees for approval.
Names of award winners are needed at least 30 days prior to conference, so that mementos can be prepared in time for presentation at the conference banquet. Any certificates, plaques or other form of award to be presented should be secured in plenty of time to have these ready for presentation at the conference banquet. A special account with Nambe Mills has been established for this purpose. Persons to make awards presentations should be designated. An annual report should be prepared for presentation at the fourth Board meeting, the business meeting at the annual conference, and for publication in the post-conference issue of the Newsletter.